It is believed that in ancient Greece Hippocrates stuffed animal skins to give to patients for medicinal purposes. This led to the modern-day medicine balls, wall balls, and slam balls we know and use today.
Medicine ball slams are arguably one of the most fun exercises you can do. So, here are some tips for better slams...
1. Unless you are using a top-of-the-line strength medicine ball, consider getting a slam ball. These are specifically designed for this use and will be far less likely to fall apart over time.
2. Maintain a shoulders-width to hips-width apart stance with your feet. This provides optimal balance and mobility.
3. Engage your core during the slam, so that you get the advantage of the full-body workout medicine ball slams can provide.
4. Lift the ball overhead before following through with the slam. This will give you a good range of motion working all the upper body. If you can not lift the ball over your head without dropping it, it is too heavy.
5. Use a weight that is not so heavy you lack control over the ball, but heavy enough to be a challenge. Don't let your ego get in the way of your safety. I promise you nothing is as disappointing in your training as being responsible for your own inability to continue to train due to your own actions.
6. Be aware that some balls may bounce back. Be ready for this so you don't get slammed by your slam ball.
7. Make sure you make every slam count by using all your strength to slam the ball down.
Check out below... Steve demonstrates basic medicine ball slams and a medicine ball slam progression to work a wider range of motion. Plus, a bonus medicine ball workout not involving slams!
🤔Did you know there was a difference between medicine, slam, and wall balls? DM, message, post...we're listening.👂