There are several universal things that will help ensure your safety when performing a deadlift technique. Follow these guidelines for the best possible outcome.
1. Use a weightlifting belt for support.
2. Use wrist braces if you have wrist issues or need the added support.
3. Use lifting straps to aid in grip strength if needed.
4. Maintain the bar close to your body.
5. Move fluidly, do not use jerky movements.
6. Maintain control and only move as quickly as you can keep proper form.
7. Never push through pain that may be signaling an injury.
8. When starting out or increasing the weight you lift use reasonable increments.
9. Engage your core.
A traditional deadlift starts with your feet shoulder-width apart and the barbell placed in front them. Setting your hips back slightly hinge from them, squatting slightly to grab the bar using an overhand or alternating grip. Moving your hips forward start to stand upright keeping the bar hanging below your hips and your back and knees straight. Then move your hips back again and bend your knees to return to the starting position.
A Romanian deadlift starts with your feet approximately shoulder-width apart holding the bar in an overhand grip in front of you at hip level. Keeping your back straight, send your hips back to hinge and lower the bar toward the ground only reaching as far as approximately shin-level. Then sending your hips forward once more return to a standing position with the hanging bar returning to just below hip level.
Stiff Leg Deadlift
A stiff leg deadlift begins with feet shoulder-width apart and with a slight bend in your knees. Grip the bar using an overhand grip with it just below hip level. Keeping your back straight hinge at your hips sending them back slightly to do so. Lower the bar to the ground. Returning your hips and back to standing upright bringing the bar back to it's starting position in front of you.
Romanian Dumbbell Deadlift
🤔What's your favorite deadlift style? DM, message, post...we're listening.👂