More Than Just Calf Raises
* 6 exercises to build bigger calves
How To Do A Proper Calf Raise and More
Optimize Your Calf Raises
When performing calf raises it's about more than just popping you heels up and down. You want to make sure you are taking a few things into consideration.
- Endurance - Most people use their calves regularly, so they're used to more than you realize and can hold more weight than we may often think. So when doing calf exercises consider working for endurance and do higher reps. You can also try varying your calf workout, low weight-high rep one day and higher weight-low rep another.
- Stand Up - Opt for standing calf raises over seated ones if possible. The standing variety will work more muscles overall and give you a solid workout. However, if you struggle with this the seated variety is always an option.
- Boxes - Use a box, step, or similar platform to hang your heels off of to get a full range of motion and more weight resistance since you'll be working against gravity and utilizing more control.
- Loose the Shoes - If you wear shoes that offer an extreme amount of support or have springy soles consider taking them off. Wearing shoes like this will only cause your calves to not work as hard, making the exercise less worth it.
- Slow Down - Slow your pace down and consider implementing a hold at the peak. To do this, slowly rise then hold for a few seconds and lower slowly back down. This will amplify the muscle building properties of this exercise.
Calf Raise Variations and Other Recommended Exercises to Work Your Calves
Bodyweight Calf Raises
Single Leg Calf Raises
Dumbbell Weighted Calf Raises
Machine Calf Raises 3 Ways
🤔Are you looking at your calves a lil closer? DM, message, post...we're listening.👂